Are hotels safe from contracting covid 19? Or it's too risky and should be avoided?

I'm in need of travel and was wondering if hotels are safe. 

As long as you are absolutely sure Covid-19 is not carried on mattresses, bedding, pillows, furniture, poorly cleaned towels, unsterilized ventilation systems, go right ahead. I'm sure all of their employees wear masks at home, and every single employee is mindful of acceptable social distancing. Remember, your life is in the hands of strangers intent on getting their businesses open despite any risk.

Yes.  Buildings do not catch diseases.

• How are you 'in need of travel'... No one needs to travel these days, unless it's for essential business trips. 

I wouldn't be comfortable going any where if I didn't have to. Some countries you have to quarantine for 14 days before you go any where. You should also do so when you get home. 

I'm sure they have health and safety protocols in place at hotels. You would have to check on line and see what they are, try to follow them as best you can. But you should also be doing what you can to keep your self safe. 

Probably pretty safe.  In the U.S., most hotels have increased their between guests" cleaning and also do not enter or clean rooms during your hotel stay unless you specifically request it.  Items like towels are delivered in bags.  Both guests and staff are wearing masks and desk personnel also have plexiglass shields.  Most hotels also have lots of hand sanitizer stations and ask guest to limit the number of people in an elevator to 3 and or your own family.

My guess is many hotels are far safer than a lot of homes where people aren't practicing regular cleaning and social distancing.  Of course, you have to decide for yourself what risks you are willing to take based on where you need to go and what type of accommodation you get.  

inquire if they are sanitized or not

Some hotels claim their revised cleaning protocols make them safe.

Personally, I have stopped all travel because I don't believe an overworked, underpaid housekeeping staff can do a supremely thorough job of disinfecting every room they service.

If I had to travel, I'd be full-on paranoid, bring my own gloves and cleaning supplies, and clean that already-clean room to my own standards.

And of course travel itself exposes you to other people, and an awful lot are refusing to wear masks, wearing them incorrectly, etc.