Why does my V8 car not have dual exhausts?

I just bought this car from the dealer and just realized that it doesn’t have dual exhausts just one... why if it’s it’s a V8 it doesn’t have dual exhausts. Don’t all V8 cars come with dual exhausts? (Noticed after purchasing the car).

30 Answers

Relevance
  • garry
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago

its easier than running 8 into 1 , this way your have 2 mufflers with 4 pipes in , and they are usually joined on the down pipe , as a balancer system .Next time they have a v8 on a hoist , have a look .

• 3 weeks ago

No, not all V8s have a dual exhaust system. Most cars with 2 tailpipes have only 1 exhaust system. Exhaust system design is based upon engine performance specs and the compression ratios thereof. 

• 3 weeks ago

No, not all V8 engines have a dual exhaust system. I owned two V8 cars and both were single-exhaust, a 1966 Mustang 289 and a 1973 Pontiac 350.

• 3 weeks ago

It will make sense to you when you need a new muffle and catalytic converter, that you don't have to buy twice as many. You should have examined the invoice for the car you ordered. If dual exhaust was available, you should have ordered it. Short answer: you bought the cheap model.

You can put a dual exhaust on any engine- even an inline engine.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • arther
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

you cheeped out and didn't check the high performance option $$$ as you must of driven it and were happy does it matter?

• Rick
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

they are more expensive ............................

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Because it doesn’t need them. 

Seriously.. my motorhome with a SEVEN POINT FIVE LITRE V8 has a single exhaust. 

Very few V8 cars have a true dual exhaust (no.. the moron saying that all V8s do is incorrect.. manifolds and headers alone do not an exhaust, make). 

Usually there is a common pipe between the catalytic converters and the mufflers and tail pipe so the floor can be lower with less of a hump. 

No.. the only reason why cars have dual exhaust is to look cool and imply that they are faster than they actually are. Lots of them even have those ugly exhaust tips moulded into the rear bumper. 

Then there’s the Civic Type R that has THREE exhaust tips from a four cylinder engine. 

Ridiculous. 

My turbo four and my V6 car both have dual outlets.. but they are both hidden so they don’t look so ostentatious. 

• 3 weeks ago

Cars did not have dual exhausts unless the buyer ordered them.  New cars have dual exhausts mostly as a sales gimmick  You don't get a choice anymore.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Dual exhausts were mostly a fad that started in the mid-1950s.......sure, racers were using them to make engines more "free breathing" and gain a few horsepower . . . .they looked "sporty" and became popular on mainstream cars but there's no magic to multiple exhuasts:  a single exhaust can be properly sized and tuned to produce just as much power.  In the 1950s, cars with American V8s as small as about 220 cubic inches could be had with dual exhausts . . . . by the 1970s engines as big as 500 cubic inches had single exhausts.  While multiple exhausts are perceived as indicating power, the more cylinders run into a single exhaust the quieter the system can be as the exhaust impulses tend to cancel each other.

• 3 weeks ago

Clearly the answer is no they don't. It adds cost and is not mandatory for a V8. Older V8 cars never had them.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.