Is it worth it to buy my mum an iPad Air (4th generation)?

My mum's birthday is coming up, and I've been thinking about getting her an iPad Air. Her current laptop isn't really at its best condition, and I just thought it would be nice to get her something she could use for work. Is the iPad user friendly for newbies? Is it a good option? 

• John P

I have never owned a tablet computer of any brand, but I have operated one on occasions, not iPad brand.  Personally I regard them as devices from hell.  If I were ever to have to use one seriously I would have to have a Bluetooth keyboard for it, which is not really expensive - about £30, maybe $40.

If you do get a laptop instead, make sure it has dark matte keys with white lettering. I bought a laptop in a hurry recently with silvery keys, it looked good in the shop, but it is useless in the sort of lighting in most homes.  Thankfully my daughter managed to get a set of matte black decals to cover the keys so that I am not limited as to where I can use the laptop at home.

The decals were quite expensive, she got them for my birthday present. Then I had to spend an hour carefully sticking them one by one onto each individual key.

Why not get her another laptop. The iPad Air is about as expensive as a laptop. 

iPads can’t use flash player so if she needs to use it, she’s out of luck. 

As long as she knows how to use the App Store she should have no problems with the air. If she installs a lot of custom programs on her laptop then she might be out of luck. 

The air isn’t really for doing work at home. It’s mostly for email, web, games, social media, and creativity like taking pictures and editing it. 

I mainly use my air to play games and web browsing.