Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleFashion & Accessories · 3 weeks ago

Is this actually how clothing sizes work?

My roommate, who's a 31 year old guy, says you're supposed to wear the smallest size you can fit into possible. For example he wears a large or sometimes an XL shirt and a 36 waist jeans but he really should be in a 2xl and probably a 40 waist because his shirts barely cover his stomach and leave nothing to the imagination and his jeans look ready to explode and give him major muffin tops. 

When he sits his shirts ride up and his stomach hangs out and it's just not a flattering look.  I sound very critical and I don't mean to because he's actually got a football player build so while he's not fat-fat, he's thick enough to not be able to pull off the borderline belly shirts he sometimes wears.

I know it's not my business and I'm not saying he's got to change but I'm wondering where the mindset of your clothing size is the one you can squeeze yourself into comes from.

His clothes are not properly sized.  You have it correct.

Billie Eilish says the opposite and I've actually heard of her, so no. 

While all the teenage girls at the mall follow his line of thought, you should wear clothes that fit comfortably! He looks ridiculous. So you are right and he is wrong, but you'll probably never change his mind.

Let your roommate strut his stuff, while you look polished, neat, and put-together. When the time comes to tell him something, tell him you're tired of having to look at his navel. That usually throws a person off.