Why do colleges charge so much at the end of your studies there?

Like I know everything in life is not free and I pay my tuition fees so why do they charge typically over 50 grand? Just curious

• MS

There are a lot of expenses involved in running a college or university.  And not all schools are going to cost $50k, even over 4 years.  I have a bachelor's, a master's, and a doctorate and I paid a total of $8k - all of it for my undergraduate degree.  The yearly in-state tuition and fees at the university where I teach is about $8500, so well under $50k for 4 years.

You know, you don't have to go a school that costs 50 grand, right?  I have a BA, two Master's and a doctorate, and the total cost for all four of my degrees was about $67,000.  

Well naturally, it depends on the institution. Salaries, building construction and maintenance, labs, groundskeeping, vehicles, upgrades and perks to student housing (that no one had a few decades ago), the list goes on and on.