Duck asked in PetsCats · 4 weeks ago

Why is vegan cat food so expensive?

It's literally made out of plants which are cheap. I don't understand why people would buy it when my cat is doing fine eating fresh fruit and vegetables.

Cats aren't supposed to be vegan.

Cats can't digest protein from plants and beans the same way humans can, and they can't produce taurine at all, they need a dietary source.

If your cat isn't drastically losing weight on an all-veg diet, s/he is probably getting protein from hunting.

Cats are naturally vegans. Just feed them plants and they should be fine. Me Basset Hound puppy is vegan. Never had meat in his life. Sure he's blind, deaf and retarded. But seeing the look on his face when I cook potatoes is worth it.

low demand high cost

Unless your pet has a meat allergy please don't hurt its life by neglecting a diet most natural to them. I understand humans have been to excessive and abused animals, and need to be vegan. But animals, they are apart of the harmony of nature, the circle of life. Don't begrudge them of what they were born to eat.  I'm praying for your cats health and condition of living in its term of life. 

I really hope you're a troll, and not another neglectful pet owner. People like you should be publicly executed.

• Ocimom

Cats REQUIRE a meat diet to be healthy.  Taurine is only found in meat and is essential for a cat to prevent blindness, liver/kidney damage and yellow fat disease.  Feed your cat a meat diet not a vegan diet.

Because they have to add a bunch of additives to make it balanced.. 

I guarantee that your cat is NOT "doing fine" on fruits and vegetables.  Cats are carnivores and need a meat based diet.

No normal people are vegan 

Troll smarter, please.