Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 3 weeks ago

What is good automotive oil to use in a motorcycles?

Depends greatly on the type of motorcycle.

Some have wet clutches that require special oil.

• We use Rock Oil in all our motorcycles and never experienced any problems,  so I recommend that.

The best oil for your motorcycle is the one recommended by the manufacturer

Honda-lube for Honda

Yama-lube for Yamaha

Harley-lube for Harleys

Other then that, I've used Valvoline 

Usually what the motorcycle maker recommends (their specific weight) Brands are just different companies selling the same thing. Usually there is a picture of a motorcycle on it.

whatever your owner's manual recommends...

RTFM

How difficult is it to download a manual and read it?

It could save you a fortune.

• adam

You didnt say what make and model. I will just guess its a modern import with a unitised engine/transmission. Never use automotive oil in this type of motorcycle as it doesnt have enough sheer resistance to run in the transmission. Dont use it in a Harley either. Need to use oil designed for air cooled motorcycles such as Mobile One Vee twin formula. I use Amsoil in my Harleys. Bottom line use a motorcycle specific oil . Preferably what ever the maker of your motorcycle says is best. 

• CB

Any of the correct weight the doesn't say Energy Conserving on the API symbol as they do not work well with wet clutches. To be safe a motorcycle oil is recommended.

Depends on the bike, but the correct viscosity, for sure. Diesel oil can work in the old BMW airheads (R-bikes), but they have dry, automotive-type clutches, a separate gearcase with gear oil, and shaft drive. Sure helps to know how your bike works--butcha don't tell us that. Going with what's recommended in the owner's manual is generally safe.

If your motorcycle has a wet clutch, it is important to use Motorcycle oil instead of automobile oil.  As I recall, this is designated MA on the bottle/jug.  Read your owner's manual