Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 4 weeks ago

How long should I wait before I can go into my bathroom after putting dry ice in the toilet?

I put dry ice in my toilet to see the reaction. I know it releases carbon dioxide into the air, so how many hours should I wait until going into my bathroom?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

You should never go in there again.

• elhigh
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Just turn on the exhaust fan and give it a couple of minutes.  CO2 is slightly heavier than air but not much, and not enough that the fan can't pull it out.

• 4 weeks ago

Don’t let it touch your balls!

• 4 weeks ago

until the dry ice has sublimated -- you can hold you breath to check this

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

when it stops bubbling 

• 4 weeks ago

If you didn't pass out in the time it took to exit the bathroom, it was safe the entire time.

Note: You EXHALE carbon dioxide. It is carbon monoxide that is dangerous.

Note2: Dry ice doesn't 'release' CO2. It IS CO2 in solid form.

Spock: There is not even a theoretical issue UNTIL it sublimates, aka transitions to gas form.

• J
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

Dry ice isn’t toxic. No need to wait. CO2 is everywhere. You breathe it out constantly. 

• 4 weeks ago

I used to play with the stuff inside without thinking about the carbon dioxide build up. Its heavier than air and should settle to the bottom of the room. Just open a door let it clear out for about 10 minutes and don't hang around for an extended period of time in the bathroom especially on the floor and you should be fine. Unless you dropped a whole pound in the toilet I wouldn't be too concerned

• Sandy
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

while you wait, pray your pipes don't burst.

• JJ
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

If you have an N95 mask you could probably go right away.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.