Should I ask my professor for partial credit for an assignment I submitted 20 min late?

My professor doesn’t accept late work, although she has allowed me partial credit in the past for an assignment I attempted and did wrong. This assignment was supposed to be submitted through our forums which doesn’t close on the due date. I had finished the presentation slide early and was waiting on my video to upload which ended up taking 2 hours past the deadline to upload. 20 min past the deadline I decided to just upload my presentation slide while I waited for my video. I was hoping I would get credit for it, which is why I did not email my professor at the time. Although, I checked the grade book now and saw the 0/50 mark. I’m almost at a B for my final grade, so I really need this partial credit. Should I just ask? 

Were you not allowed to turn it in early?Sounds like you need a really good "time management" seminar. 

I mean honestly, it sounds like this was not your first nor "one & only" late assignment. 

Check the syllabus and see what it says about "late assignments" and make your best argument, but you will find in life there is a reason the term is called "deadline".   

• I wouldn't ask for credit, but I would send an explanation for why it wasn't submitted on time, just so the professor doesn't think you didn't try. Then it would be in the professor's court to decide whether to give you credit or not. But you need to realize you had a valuable teaching moment.College helps you prepare for the real work world. In many jobs, being late is unacceptable. It could cost you promotions or raises, it could cost the company to lose money or contracts, it could create a staffing shortage that interrupts the business, the possibilities are endless. Say you had to do a presentation at work. The client had 20 minutes scheduled for the meeting, then had to leave and catch a plane. You want to start your presentation 20 minutes late, and they say sorry no, we have to go, and give the contract to someone who is more timely. You realize then you should have had it finished the day before, and been to work hours early to make sure it went smoothly.

I had a professor explain something to me once that applies to you- "now you will know what it is like in the real world, and what you have to do to succeed."

I went with another student to the professor to complain. We were in a group of 4 on a project. The other 2 people did minimal work, stayed briefly for meetings, and turned in C level work. I wanted an A and so did the 4th person, so we redid the work the other 2 did, spent a LOT more time on it, and worked really hard to make an A grade project. We all 4 got the same grade, so we thought that was unfair and went to the professor. Then he said that. He said you will often find in the working world you will have to collaborate as a team, and often members of the team will be happy with a minimum effort, where some will want it to be the very best effort and have to put in the extra effort to make it happen. We all received an A for the project, and of course later in life I saw many times that was true.

If I was your professor, I would not give you partial credit. But I would expect an explanation, and if I didn't get it I would drop your final grade even lower for lack of effort. Effort shows, and it pays off. Twice in college, I was excused from taking final exams. In one class, the professor said we would have weekly quizzes, and if we scored 90% or higher on each one, we could skip the final. I was the only one in class that did it. In another, we had to read 7 books over the semester. I finished them all in the first 2 weeks, and told my professor so, and which I had liked best and why, and what I had not enjoyed about others, so that it was clear I was telling the truth. He excused me from the final because he said I already had an A.

Effort can make or break a lot of things in life. You didn't make a good effort. You could have uploaded the video the day before to make sure it worked. You didn't even bother to email the professor when there was a problem. Now it will seem like you are just making excuses. But at least explain, apologize for not emailing, and don't beg for something when you don't deserve it. You learned a real life lesson- let it be a good teaching moment for you as you go forward in life.

No Late is Late Unless you can Give a Great reason

dsfsddsvcsvcdsvsvfsvdfvf

• John P

I trust that you have now got the message from your professor that she does not accept work submitted late for any reason.  Perhaps a harsh way to learn it, but there you go.

I trust that you will have learned the lesson and re-organised your life so that you get stuff in on time.

By all means ask her for some credit, but be humble if she says no. Ask just once, do not drag out the conversation.

• garry

you where 20 minutes late , the word is late , your fault no one elses .

I don't understand why young people have such a problem with turning in things on time.  I never turned anything in late in nearly three decades of education.  If you turned in a project to my company, you'd be fired on the spot.  A bad grade is an easy price to pay for something that could cost you thousands or even millions in the future.

Young people idiocy no. It’s late

Yu knew the policy, and the deadline for submission. You should have done something to get it in on time, instead of acting on an alternative submission plan after the deadline passed. You can ask, but expect a No. Especially since you have already been granted an exception to the rules once because you "did the assignment wrong." In other words, you have a poor track record going into this assignment. It's up to your professor, but don't expect to be granted "special dispensation" again!

Only your professor knows whether or not she'll consider your request.  If you want to ask, ask.  The best that can happen is that you'll get some credit.  The wort that can happen is that you won't and the professor will give you a dressing down for asking. 

The thing you need to learn is that you can't wait until the last couple of hours before an assignment is due to turn it in -- particularly if it is via an electronic/computer application.