GFCI Outlet Issues?

I have a dedicated circuit that has two receptacles in the kitchen (one is a GFCI) that leads down to a breaker panel breaker switch, two hot wires and two neutral wires feed into a junction box at the GFCI along with a ground, I assume one hot and neutral lead to the other outlet down the wall in the kitchen, because if I switch off the breaker it no longer functions. My issue is this: the GFCI has a green light on but will not provide power to anything connected, but the other outlet down the wall does work. Everything is wired correctly (white to silver, black to brass and ground to green) I am an electrical apprentice of about a month now and I feel I should understand what is going on here, but I am lost

• T J

The gfci may be defective, replace it.

• elhigh

It pains me to say it because he's pretty hateful a lot of the time, but I'm afraid Steven F may be right.  I think you have both hots on the LOAD side of your outlet, and nothing on the LINE side.  That would explain why the outlet itself isn't powered, but outlets downstream are.  If it's a Leviton outlet - and Leviton is possibly the most common brand in the US - then the light being on from the start is an indicator that it's wired incorrectly.

Unlike Steve, I'm not going to be rude about it.It would help a lot if you had provided a picture of the outlet itself, and not the wires.  It's how the wires are connected to the device that matters; a picture of just the wires isn't useful.

Of course, if you have a hot going into the LINE side of the outlet then this answer - and Steve's - is just plain wrong.  Include a photo of the outlet itself so we can take another think at it.

test, test, test.  press the test button on the gfci and then see if the other outlet still works.  if it does, it isn't wired to the load side of the gfci [which, imho, it should be].  and if so, then pressing the reset button should restore power to the gfci.  if that doesn't, and the leads to the gfci test hot and ground [as they should], then the gfci has died and needs to be replaced.  [a gfci is only good for about 50 or so off/on cycles -- after that, it has to be replaced].  -- grampa

You are a BOLD FACED LIAR. You couldn't be an electrical apprentice for a WEEK without knowing the answer. Even if you could, an apprentice of ANY kind would ask the person they are apprenticed to such basic questions.

Based on the TERRIBLE angle of your photo, it appear you have the wires connected to the LOAD (read downstream) side of the GCFI, and no power to the LINE side. As those are clearly marked on the outlet, and even a RANK AMATEUR can follow the instructions included in the box, you wouldn't even pass the test to apply for an internship if this was enough to confuse you.

elhigh: Stating that someone proving they know NOTHING about electricity has not been an electrical apprentice for a month is not rude. Insulting people that tell the truth is FAR MORE hateful than telling the truth.

Note: Even mentioning me when you HAVE to agree with me is proof you are obsessed.