Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 3 weeks ago

Speaking of fog lights (from someone's earlier question here): I'm pretty sure they are pre-installed on this car, yet...?

The one-half next to the circle turn on when I turn the headlights on, the circled half are never on, so there must be some way to trigger them... any ideas?

I think these are possibly the infamous yellow fog lights.

Consult 

Your 

Owner's 

Manual! 

If you don't 

Have one, 

Then look 

Online, and 

Download it.

• fuzzy

Fog lights do NOT need to be yellow. What they need to be is set low, with a wide spread horizontally & no vertical spill. The light needs to not shine on the fog between you & ahead of you; if it does it lights up the water droplets & you cant see past them. They also need to be on without the headlights!! Most manufacturers dont allow this so the spill vertically from headlights negates the usefullness of the fog lights

• Neil

Those are not fog lamps. Sometimes fog lamps can be yellow, but never orange/amber.

Those are your position lamps / parking lamps / side lamps (multiple names for the same thing) and your turn signals.

My Mercedes-Benz and VW you pull the switch out one or 2 notches

I would just about bet they are just "reflectors". If you pull the assembly or can look at the back, there is more then likely only one bulb there.

Three things come to mind.

Emergency flashers, parking lights, or simply a reflector.

Those are not fog lights, a fog light projects a beam similar to the headlight only with a yellow filter.

The parking lights come on with the first click of the headlight switch, before the headlights come on.

I seem to remember the emergency flasher on those cars was a stalk under the column that looked like a golf tee.

• A.J.

Stating vehicle details might yield something about the controls, but start with a guess of bulbs burned out.