Why have modern historical revisionists neutered the Native American?

Thanks to modern historical revisionism, the popular image of the Native American has changed from that of a mighty warrior to that of a weak, pacifistic elf-like nature mystic.  Why has this happened?  Why must we forget the heroic deeds of men like Crazy Horse and Geronimo and portray them as makers of dreamcatchers and constant defenseless victims of the whites?  Most of the tribes, the successful ones, at least, had proud warrior cultures.  They fought long and hard against white soldiers and pioneers, and in many cases were victorious.  Revisionists want us to believe they were helpless and knew nothing of warfare until forced into it by whites.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • IIIII
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

They practiced slavery (raided enemy tribes to ‘replace’ lost members of their families and used slaves to form alliances) before colonists even arrived and each of the tribes were horribly vicious towards one another. Only a few million exist in North America today and because of this it is easy for people to erase and change the memory of them. 

• Fred
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

I think it is more the movie and TV industry that has more to do with making the native Americans appear to look as so they were either violent or passive as required by the story.  In the last 20 to 30 years many documentary makers have started to tell the truth that some Indian tribes fought hard to save their lands against the whites who were doing what ever they could to kill off the natives and take their lands.  The natives were not passive and many fought hard to keep the white settlers away.

Unfortunately the white settlers used disease, poison and modern weapons to push the Natives off their lands, and were too powerful and the Indians soon realized they could not beat them.

• 4 weeks ago

The Iroquois, native peoples of the Great-Lakes area.  They formed a confederation of 5 tribes in the early 14th century,

vowed to fight each other no more, and called this compact the Great Peace.  So far, they're still at peace.

• J P
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

People always try to put a great deal of distance between themselves and their greatest, most guilt-inducing sins. I read "Yellow Bird" this spring. What I learned about the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers re-routing/damming water on the Fort Berthold Reservation (Mandan, Arikara, Hidatsa) left me astounded. Knowing how destructive it was in a time of supposed "civilized" U.S.-native relations, I can see why most U.S. citizens know absolutely nothing of it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.