Anonymous

I feel like I will be living at home with my parents until I am 40? I regret my college major?

I majored in anthropology and latin and work as a field technician 3 years after college making $12 an hour and have $19,000 in student loan debt. I am 26 years old and can't even afford to get a studio apartment where I live. I still live with my parents. The cheapest apartment near where I live is $1600/month for a 400 sq foot studio, which requires a monthly income of $4800. I make about $1200 a month.

You unfortuently chose a worthless major which is common to lead you back to a minimum wage job.

It's time to just do what YOU GOTTA DO.

And that's take responsibility, I know, it sucks. But what is done is done, it's time to pick your head up and pay your loan back.

I gaurentee, if you have the true ambition, you will nbot be living at your parents until you are 40 lol... you're only 26!

19k is a lot of money, but it's doable to pay back, even working minumum wage. Take more hours, work as much as you can, and pay it back, try to save too, if you are living at home I'm assuming your parents aren't charging you rent. 

• garry

what are you in about , pay the loan and act like a grown up for a change , after all adults pay there loan off . or you one of those that say education should be free , 

Did nobody warn you when you pursued the 4th lowest paying college major and a dead language as your major? What exactly did you expect, a six-figure salary for brushing dust off old pottery while quoting Virgil?

Are you even applying to archeology jobs (whatever those are)?  What skills do you bring to the table that anyone would want to pay you for?  If you do not have a good answer, the only thing you can do is acquire new ones.

• drip

I can’t believe you didn’t know you would  need to go on to graduate school. 

Go on to graduate school.  Get with a head hunter or temp agency to find a job. Many jobs just require a Bachelor degree, it doesn’t matter what your major was.

Get into factory work. Better pay and great benefits. 

I'm kind of curious what you'd planned to do with your major to make more money than that? Anyway, yeah, you need a better paying job.  You have a degree, useless as it may be, it's still a degree. Lots of jobs out there just want a degree in any field. Also, you could get a second, part time job.  If your parents don't mind you living there, you need to work on those student loans and put away as much money as you can so you can eventually move out.  Don't forget to help your parents around the house! Do your own laundry, empty the dishwasher, cut the grass, etc. Tell them how much you appreciate them letting you stay there. That will go a long way in not wearing your welcome thin.

Just get a better paying job even if it $16-18

The problem is not necessarily your major, but what you are doing with it. A bachelor's in anthropology is nowhere near enough for any sort of professional level job in that or related fields. You needed to go to grad school, or figure out other ways to make use of your degree.

• April

Seriously, just put an application in to Walmart. Starting pay is anywhere from $12-$20/hour plus there's room for advancement. Go to job fairs and see what your options are. 

Most college grads don't get their own place until they're better established. They usually start out living with their parents or with roommates. It's rare to land 40k/year right after college.

• John

This is hardly the fault of your college major.  My younger grandson is in high school, and makes $14/hour as a retail clerk.  There are many career level positions in civil service, the military, and sales which only require a degree in any subject.  A degree does not mean a graduate can simply sit back and watch the money roll in.  It means you qualify to enter certain professions.  Getting a career level position, and advancing in that career is up to you. Especially considering the red hot job market prior to the pandemic, your career failings are on your shoulders.  Take action to get your career on track.

So you just stay at home and beat off all day?