Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 3 weeks ago

So I am Vietnamese but I took a DNA test recently and it says I have 44 percent European ancestry from Eastern Europe. ?

How is this possible 

Congratulations, you're Eurasian. It's possible alright. Usually you can tell a Eurasian because of the coarser features, especially the big nose. But when the White father had naturally dark hair, delicate fine features with a small nose and especially if he had any Asian ancestry himself, his looks will blend right in with those of the Vietnamese mother and the child can pass.

I don't understand why you think this would be impossible. There have been westerners in Vietnam on and off for two hundred years, and plenty of Vietnamese people have moved to the west too.

• John P

Quite a lot of European merchants and professional people were in  the Far East in the 19th and early 20th centuries. I have a photograph of my (British) uncle in Tokyo in the 1920s. My mother-in-law was born in India, as were her siblings, but she was as British as I am. 

Vietnam was still known as French Indo-China in my young days in the very early 1950s.  It was then still a colony of France.

Ho Chi Minh had worked in Paris in the 1920s.

To answer you question as simply as possible, Vietnam has been controlled by Europeans since before World War II.  Eastern European is Russia and the countries that were controlled by Russia AFTER world war II. That is how it is possible for you DNA results to show that large a percent of European ancestry.

Source(s): Genealogical Researcher 50 + years

try another company  do not eat anything for one hour before doing saliva sample

• Zirp

Those tests don't find your ancestry nor where they lived.  They find your distant cousins.

and yes it could be that one of your biological grandparents was european

It could be wrong.

Or a male American soldier with Eastern European ancestry could have impregnated one of your female ancestors in Vietnam during the war in the 1960s or the 1970s.

There are other possibilities too, these are just examples.

probably cause of your relatives

• I can only guess, but I have two theories. 

1. You have ancestry from the french occupation of Vietnam in the late 1800s. 

2. You have ancestry from American soldiers invading North Vietnam during the 1960s. 

• rodcom

My guess is that one of your  relatives mated with a French guy when they controlled Vietnam all those years, and it got passed down to you.