Personal modem/router setup with Frontier Communications?

I bought the NetGear Nighthawk X4S AC3200 Wifi Cable Modem Router (C7800) with Docsis 3.1 and cannot get online. Cable connectivity states In Progress. I called Frontier and they told me to contact NetGear. When I called NetGear they told me that Frontier has to register my MAC address. However, Frontier insists that they do not register MAC addresses. How can I connect the NetGear Nighthawk?

Frontier doesn't use DOCSIS 3.1.  They either supply FIOS or DSL.   You have the the wrong router.

• keerok

Your new router has a setting called MAC Clone (or something to the tune of that). You need to input the MAC address of the original router supplied by your ISP to the new one you bought.

• BigE

I believe Frontier is FIOS not DOCSIS.  So it requires FIOS gear, it uses a MOCA connection ( which is cable) so therefore what you have is wrong.  I believe the default Frontier FIOS router is actually the  Arris NVG468MQ under the covers.  FIOS/MOCA works totally different from DOCSIS.

So that is why no MAC is required because Frontier terminates in the fiber ONT at your home.

I could be totally wrong, but you can ask them..

• VP

Netgear is correct. Most (if not all) cable ISPs register the MAC address of the gateway (what we call a cable modem + router combo).  You might try turning off the gateway for 15 or so minutes and then turning it back on to see if the system will accept your new equipment.  Otherwise, call Frontier back and ask to speak with a Level II person.

Good luck!

• Dave

No one but Frontier can help you.