Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 1 month ago

What is a good "around town" car?

My commute is 52 miles round-trip. Multiple by 5 or 6 days a week depending on office needs and add in all my "around town" errands and it adds up to almost 500 miles per week. I am looking into getting a 2nd vehicle for around town to take the load off my commuter. It doesn't have to be anything new or flashy. Any recommendations?

The cheapest way is to get a used electric car.  Plug it in at night,  drive to work,  drive home,  plug it in. Use no gas,  you wll get around 100 mpg-e with it.    Most of them have a range of 200+ miles so should be able to do what you need.

How tall are you?  If you're over 6' tall there's no sense trying to cram into anything smaller than a Toyota Camry (35 mpg.) when you drive 500 miles per week. 

Additionally, How much snow do you experience in the winter on your trips to work. The smaller and lighter the car, the harder they are to handle on snow covered roads.

• zipper

Any car you can afford, most likely a small one would be best!

• Jay P

Anything reliable that doesn't cost a lot to maintain, insure, and is frugal on gas.

Something like a Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris, etc.

2015 Mazda 3 sedan or 5 door.  Not too big or  too small, not brand new or too old.

ABS/air bags, cruise, fantastic AC and ent. . system. I Have one, Not just quoting from CR or CD.  Cost  eight grand.  I average 46 MPG on hiway,  4 banger, DOHC, chain drive, 2 liters. Takes Regular. .

.NO. my ins does not "double". Find another broker. It only went up slightly.  having my Harley on it as well. A Good ins co  like Progressive  realizes you cannot drive/ride both at once. Prog Liked my air bags/ABS, got discounts. Radar avoidance would be another discount.

• Barry

Any European or Asian built diesel will be ideal. You'll get 50+ mpg which will mean significant savings with that high mileage. Modern turbo diesels are quick and relaxing to drive.

• Fred

Buy a Toyota corolla as Toyota has a reputation for long life and reliability, and there are Toyota dealerships everywhere.

The micro cars another poster suggested are usually not a good idea unless you are parking in the city 12 times a day. And Smarttoo or whatever they are called have poor reliability. Most people get rid of them because they are crappy cars.

Mazda3 is fine, Hyundai or Kia if you need to spend less.

And Honda is hard to beat. I think they have a tiny car that is not as bad as most. But many or most people end up hating any brand of tiny car and getting rid of them for something bigger. So just get a bigger car to begin with. Compact.

The downside to having 2 cars is insurance is about double. That never made sense to me because I only carry liability and I can only drive one at a time, But its true.

• Anton

Where you are matters, but generally what you want is a "city car", micro car. Something that can do where others cannot, where others cannot park.

For over four years I have had the best city car, a Smart Fortwo. Only 5'2" wide, 8'10" long. (actually, rear bumper that made it 9'2" long.)   Only available used.

I have SmartMadness locally, so I have someone local to keep it served and maintained and parts available.

Any other car is over two and a half feet long.

Mine is a very fun car, a convertible.   For carry use, the sky is the limit.  Took a 7' xmas  home in the Smart....

2020 hyundai accent.