Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 4 weeks ago

Can you call 999 if you’re feeling suicidal?

I’m feeling like i want to end it all right now and harm myself.  But i’m wondering if it’s appropriate to call 999 or not.

thank you.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Rev
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Feeling the way you do, if you are close to harming yourself that is definitely an emergency, so yes, calling 999 (or 911 in some countries) to get help would be very appropriate.

Take care of yourself and don't be afraid to reach out for help. Just the fact you are thinking about calling is actually a good sign, it means that despite the suicidal feelings there is a part of you that wants to live. No matter how hopeless things seem now there is a path to getting better.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Yes. Being actively suicidal is a medical emergency so it is appropriate to call 999. There may unfortunately be a delay of several hours for an ambulance, but not  always, so it may be wise to get a taxi to A&E or ask a friend for a lift.

• 4 weeks ago

Yes you can but their triage processes may mean they take a long time.  You could call NHS 111 and answer the call centre's questions. Maybe better to call the Samaritans on 116 123. They listen to you asap.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.