Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

How hard could it really be to write a garbage erotic novel ?

It can't be that hard, right?

I see them all the time with these ******* covers with like horse armed men holding small distressed women and they have titles like "The Lord's Cuckold Mystery" Like, how hard is it really to get these darn things published?

• leabee

People always show their ignorance when they judge someone else's work to be easy, effortless or 'garbage'. You try writing one that anyone wants to read and see how judgemental you are then.

Published by a traditional publisher? Very hard.

Self-published? No-one's stopping you.

Writing garbage is probably not that hard either if you have the self-discipline to plonk your butt in the chair and churn out the words.

Selling could be another matter, then you're suddenly talking marketing, exposure, stats, and what have you. Also, if your writing sucks, you'll struggle to get a loyal reader base, because there are a lot of people writing erotic novels. A lot. The competition is fierce, and readers need very little excuse to dump you, because there's always the next writer and the next after that.

"How hard is it really?"

Nobody is stopping you from finding out for yourself. Be sure to let us know when your book is published; we'll all want signed copies.

The writer has no input on the cover. the art department at the publisher has full control over that.

• Zac Z

If you think it's super easy to write "a garbage erotic novel" and have it published - go for it!

It'll be quick and easy cash for you.

I'm serious, if you can write books with ease that sell well, you should do that - if only to prove MsBittner wrong. Or realize that she is right after all.   ;-)

Like, it's like easy, isn't it? Like, it's like as easy as, like, asking a question on like Yahoo Answers that is like sure to get lots of serious people answering it seriously, like. Hope this like helped, like.

As you'll discover if you try it yourself, it's like most other fields of human endeavour. Doing it is easy. Doing it well enough that strangers will pay you for it is rather more difficult.

I'm a commercially published erotica author. Trust me, it's a lot more difficult than it looks.

For erotic romance (not what I do), there is a certain formulaic nature (including cover art), just as in all romance, but unlike fifteen years ago, the writing has to be pretty solid now. There's a good bit of competition for a shrinking number of publishers.

There is, of course, no gatekeeper assuring minimum quality for the self-published.

Allow me to suggest you challenge yourself. Write an erotic short story, 5000 words or more, with a minimum of two graphic sex scenes. Since you note heterosexual "garbage erotic novels," go with a male-female pairing. (As a point of reference, an erotic romance novel usually runs a minimum of 60,000 words, so I'm asking you to try something only one-twelfth as long and complex.)

I honestly think you will learn that writing well is not easy--and writing sex well is often exquisitely difficult.

Edit: Jim2, you're wasted here. A person who's reasonable and nice about it could do better, you know?

• Jim2

Lol.  Probably not too hard! Perhaps the secret to recognition is coming up with a catchy female pen name? Update: Well, after reading the other answer, perhaps I spoke too soon. I'm not going to argue with actual experience.