Cameron asked in HealthMental Health · 4 weeks ago

What is the best option for me in this situation?

I feel like taking my own life because my dad and I have barely talked since our disagreement that we had during October of 2019. I have been waiting for him to speak to me more often like he has done in the past but when we have disagreements we usually don't speak to each very much. I had an argument with my dad because I spilled a drink while trying to hold a bag of food and drinks while I held my phone in my hand simultaneously. My dad told me that I should have put my phone in my pocket before I held the food. I told him that I made a mistake and didn't think to put my phone in my pocket and he didn't respond to what I said so I hit him out of frustration. When we arrived home my dad called my mom and told her what I did. She sided with him and told me that I was in trouble. I talk to everyone else very often accept for my dad because of the disagreement and I know that I could just start talking to him again and try to end our tension but it is hard to do it so instead I have been waiting for him to start speaking to me regularly again but he barely speaks and it is only when he asks me what I want to eat. I don't see any point in continuing to live if I can't have a great and tight connection with my entire family. I'm tired of waiting for him to start speaking to me regularly again and by tired I mean that I'm so tired that I'm ready to take my own life if I can't live in peace with my entire family 24/7. I know this may seem weird but I only see one option right now.

No, you don't only have one option right now even though you may only see one option right now. If you are tired of waiting for him to speak to you again then be the bigger person in the disagreement and start speaking to him again. The best option for you in this situation is to choose to live. He didn't have to respond to what you said to him if he didn't want to respond to you. It is fine to be frustrated but it isn't okay to hit your father in frustration because he refused to answer you when the two of you were having a disagreement. Sit down with your family and let them know how you feel. Let your family know that you want a great and tight connection with them and ask them if they can help you come up with ways that can happen.. 

I'm going to frank with you and say that this suicidal feeling is hostility toward your father. You were being immature when you hit him and you're being immature now.

Of course, we don't want you to kill yourself, and I'll give you some good suicide prevention advice. 

The most important thing is knowing how to cope in a moment of crisis. It's very important to calm down. This will make you feel better and let you think clearly.

A very easy way to calm down is just to breathe slowly. A doctor recommends inhale to a count of 4, exhale to 6. You'll feel better in 5 min or less.

Also, simple distractions can be very good. This video has suggestions. It also has a very good hotline. No one will bother you if you call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yBXl81QPyY

Youtube thumbnail

&t=7s

Try praying.  If you have never asked Jesus Christ into your life as Lord and Savior, I urge you to do so.  Please read the New Testament, starting with the Gospel of John.  There are answers to life's problems in the Bible.  God loves you.  Don't kill yourself.  That would be a waste.  Sounds like you are a  young guy.  Give life a chance. 

Ask your father to haul off and sock you right in the jaw as justified payment for your hitting him.  When you get up off the floor, tell him you are sorry and will never hit him again.

That's fair and perhaps you will realize.  So, don't put your hands up, stand up and take it like a man.