Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 4 weeks ago

Why can't women get their tubes tied?

But men can get vasectomies no problem? 

Neptune2bsure - LOL I suggest you read my post again before putting words into my mouth a 2nd time. I am actually advocating for women and their rights to their own bodies. Maybe learn to read more carefully

• Marvin
    1 week ago

I assume you are referring to single women, or those who have no children.

It is true that a man can get a vasectomy young easier than a woman can get her tubes tied. I had my vasectomy at 22 with no children.

A woman can get her tubes tied at 25 or so if she goes to a female doctor.  My first wife had hers done at 26, and she never had children.  My current spouse did not need to get her tubes tied because I already had a vasectomy.

To answer your question, most surgeons are men, and they do not like dong the surgery on women who do not have children.

s e x i s m, dats it

• Zirp

They can, but it's far more invasive. It requires cutting into the belly and full anaesthesia.

vasectomies can be done under local anaesthesia, and there's a reversable type - although the reversal doesn't always succeed.

I have met one guy who had a vasectomy at 18, in the Netherlands

• Piero

When I was in my twenties, I wanted to get a vasectomy. I wasn't able to get a doctor to do it, because I was "too young" or "hadn't had enough children yet". My wife got pretty much the same crap when we tried to get her a tubal ligation. This was before Planned Parenthood. I had hoped times had changed.

Even a vasectomy is very difficult to get. Most hospitals don’t perform vasectomy if the man is not a father of at least 2 children.

Vasectomy reversal can be done. But it is very difficult to conceive after the reversal procedure. The damage is pretty much permanent. Vasectomy reversal raises birth defects risk for the next child. Vasectomy or any permanent sterilization is possible only in societies where divorce rates are too low and marriages last for a lifetime. You must be absolutely sure that you don’t need more kids. In western countries, divorce rates have skyrocketed in the last 50 years. People might want more kids with their second spouse.

If you get your tubes tied, it puts you into premature menopause and this can affect you, as your hormone levels will become very low.

• Robin

Because tying tubes is an outdated method 

• Murzy

They can. My EX did.

• Bill

I'm guessing that you're talking about young women having trouble finding a doctor that will tie their tubes. If so, then you should be aware that both young men and young women have trouble finding someone that will provide these kind of surgeries. The reason for this is because doctors are generally concerned that a young individual that didn't yet have children will change their mind in years to come. 

Like it or not doctors have a right to determine what services they wish to provide including evaluating if they wish to provide a young man or woman a sterilization surgery. 

Women do get their tubes tied, this is a decision to be made between a couple and the decision they make is none of your business