Sally B asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Emergency!! My dog ate a toothpick!?

My 26 pound maltipoo grabbed my small half of chicken salad wrap; the toothpick held the sandwich closed. Bear gulped the whole thing, and it was done!

I read and started the SAUERKRAUT.. I JUST TREAD ABOUT LOTS OF BUTTERED BREAD...

BEAR DOG TOOTHPICK

It is Day 3 after swallowing the toothpick. Bear is fine and happy.

The day of the incident, I followed The community’s advice. I also called and talked with the vet.

-I fed him kraut and buttered bread every 30-40 minutes all day.

-He drank lots of water and went outside as many times.

-Bear showed no ab pain, but did have some short coughing episodes during this first 24 hours. 

-That first night he went out three different times; I checked poos for pieces of wood. 

Thanks

The toothpick came up in a vomit of yellow bile two days ago!!

Like Amos, I hope to god you have taken your dog to a vet by now.   You'd be extremely lucky if your dog managed to pass the toothpick through his digestive system without doing untold damage - especially if it was a plastic one.

Feeding the dog bread will not be likely to BUFFER the SHARP toothpick.  I hope you (by now) you went to an emergency vet or at least consulted one, by phone!!!!!!!!

Then get the dog to an emergency vet directly

What are you waiting for? Take the dog to the vet. The toothpick might get stuck in the throat or stomach and hurt badly a kidney.

as long as he is not choking or showing signs of pain he should be okay. if it reached his stomach, the acids will break it down no problem. Next time be careful as to what you leave around him, and train him not to touch food of yours.

My dog was trained not to touch any food of mine