Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 4 weeks ago

My spouse is pushing for a divorce, and I found out he started a family while still married to me. What ?

could happen with this situation during a divorce?

The laws governing divorce are very different depending on where you are. So if there are any children or assets involved in this marriage you're probably going to need to get an attorney. 

Depends on your state. Most states are not involved in punishment for marital actions, they are involved in the division of assets and a settlement of child support and custody. I've only lived in 4 states in the USA and in all of those, his second family, not in legal status, would not be considered in the asset divisions at all. Divorce in your situation seems a very good idea to me. You have a new life ahead of you! 

I actually know someone from Africa who got married and moved to the USA and had a couple of daughters.  Meanwhile, the man would go back to Africa "on business" about six months of the year.   His Mom lived there, she had a business which he was invested in.  But he also had another wife and kids over there, too.  His USA wife had no clue for over 20 years. 

Depending on the laws where you live, his second "marriage" could put him in prison. Get a lawyer.

A divorce will be granted.  If you are seeking child support the amount of the support will be less as a result of the other kids your spouse has fathered.