car mechanics, is this engine air filter dirty enough to replace?

Attachment image

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Not necessary yet. Check next fall.  When it starts getting closer to black than white, it is time.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

YES...................

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Cant see it that well. There are Two sides to one,

The old method is if you cant see sun thru it, it's Dirty..

An air tip blows out most of the dust. Cleans cabin filter, too, . Saves $. Until the air tip actually blows a hole in the paper, its still useable. This will happen  after 3 cleanings. I often put a layer of that open mesh poly   over it so it gets dirty, first.  

EDIT: Some are Very Expensive. $48. I shudder think what Harley wants. A washable K & N (available for Cages, Too.) is permanent and can go in washing machine.

• Erik
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

It looks fine to me.  People make too big a deal about their air filters.  If it's filthy dirty, it could be a problem, otherwise it should be fine.  The best way is to change it once a year and then never worry about it.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Barry
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

If in any doubt replace it. You will get extra mpg which will pay for the new filter.

• 4 weeks ago

It looks fine, but you should hold it up to  a light. If you cant see your hand on the other side, it's garbage. But if it's a cloth air filter, you can wash it, or dust it off.

• 4 weeks ago

Hold it up close to a light. If you cannot see the light through the filter it needs replacing. If you can then it is still usable. 

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Probably not, just slam It on the ground a few times or rinse it out with water. Either way they're not that expensive 

• L.N.
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

If you hold it up to a light and can't see light through the pleats it needs to be replaced. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.