Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

How can I get things done when my anxiety and/or depression acts up? ?

I have an anxiety disorder and sometimes a little mild depression with it. Some days I'm so overwhelmed with it and I get tired easily. How can I do things like accomplish chores when I'm so overwhelmed with this? 

Just relax and meditate

People say, "I know there are things that will make me feel better - getting exercise, taking care of myself, straightening up the house and cleaning, but I'm depressed and I don't have the energy." The thing is, people do have energy when they're depressed - as much energy as they always do, but for some reason, the system is reluctant to let you use your energy.

We have to use psychology to coax energy out of our systems. Psychology has some nifty tricks. 

I'll tell you a couple of simple tricks that I've found to be very useful. I used to have a terrible problem with procrastination, and these things helped me greatly. 

This is useful for all kinds of things you don't feel like doing. If a task seems like it's too big, think of it as a series of tasks that you can take on one at a time, and start with something really, really easy. Cleaning - start by cleaning for 3 or 4 min and take a 5 min break. Or start by just cleaning the kitchen counters. You can work for longer and longer intervals, still taking 5 min breaks. Soon you'll be working a half hour at a time.

Reading - start by previewing a chapter you're about to read, looking at headings, sub-headings, etc.

Short breaks are good but always watch the clock. Look for natural breaks, like after you finish a chapter or write an outline.

Staying on task - if you find yourself dawdling, wasting time while you're working, here's a simple fix. Decide how much time it will take to get a task done and do it in that time, watching the clock.

A famous psychiatrist said that when we can't control our feelings we can still control our muscles. If you tell your arms and legs to get you to the bathroom for a shower, they will obey.

Try this when it seems that you're too tired to work. Lie on the couch, close your eyes, and get ready to work by imagining yourself working for 5 minutes. Again, think in terms of taking it step by step and starting with something really easy.

A therapist says to make note of the times when your negative thinking habit creeps up, so you can be prepared to use your coping methods. A lot of us have this problem when doing chores.

I've answered a lot of questions about anxiety and depression, with advice from experts, and you're welcome to click on my name and read. This has a lot of info - 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqEM_jlDRZI

Youtube thumbnail