Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 3 weeks ago

My brother is marrying my husband's sister, should I be upset?

My brother and I have never gotten along and to my dismay I found out he proposed to his girlfriend who happens to be my husbands sister. This upsets me because now I have to see him at family gatherings since my husband is pretty close with his family. I will probably be asked to be a bridesmaid since I get along fairly well with the fiancee. Just for the record I am not going to sabotage the wedding or anything stupid like that, I am just very upset because I think my brother is a piece of crap. What should I do about this?

It's not for you to say. STAY AWAY

There has to be something good about your brother when someone you care for likes him. Be happy for them and do not let their happiness sour your mood, the resentment is not hurting him, it is hurting you and could affect your OWN marriage, let it go, even if you are justified in what you think of him, you will be happier if you let it go.

He was already family and was probably already present at many family functions. This might be a good time to bury the hatchet and forge a new relationship with your brother. 

The answer is NO, but thanks for asking. I would not even go to the wedding, or any other place he may be at. I did not go to two weddings, both sisters, because of conflict, that was years ago, I do not see or speak to them for many years now, and i do not miss them. Go out that day, have nice time, stay home, Do NOT allow anyone to push you into going.

Dude if this is the kind of stuff you’re worried about I have news for you- you wont be able to handle the harsh realities that are yet to come. Best of luck!

There's nothing you can do.  It's not your engagement and won't be your wedding.  Acceptance is the key to leading a decent content life.

Your brother's life has nothing to do with you at all

• Teal

Tell your husband and sister in law how you feel about your brother and why you two are estranged. If things are this bad between you, then you shouldn't hide it. They should understand why you are going to keep your distance from him and respect your boundaries. Even at family gatherings, you two don't need to interact as long as you can do the minimum to behave civilly. It's an uncomfortable situation, but it's not your responsibility alone to fix it and you don't owe your brother anything.

Sheesh I hope you don't have kids anytime soon because you are petty and self centered. 

Well life ain't all about you, guess you're gonna have to deal with it.