Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 3 weeks ago

Can a diabetic drink pop or alcohol?

they can, but they shouldn't. and diet drinks are worse for diabetics than regular

• Jim

Of course they can. It's just recommended that they don't.

yes he can gtrlhglsigtuitgugliufrlfrgfrfrgufvrujfrvjnifrjinfvjfkjfjfv.kjdfkjfkjfvjkfvkjfkj

• If you are type 2, you probably want to stay away from regular soda but diet is okay. As for alcohol, distilled spirits (rum, vodka, whiskey, tequila, etc.) have zero carbs. But they can lower your glucose a lot, so be careful. Wine has what I would consider a manageable level of carbs, regular beer starts to get a bit high in carbs.

I’d be sure to read the information that comes with any of the medications you are on to make sure there are not specifically negative alcohol interactions.

A diabetic can eat and drink anything they choose to, as long as they take into account, the effects on their blood glucose levels. So in moderation (for them) is the key.

Now what I can handle in a sugar sweetened soda or alcoholic drink, is going be different that you, and 1000 other diabetics. No one with meds or insulin or just diet and exercise, will be the same. 

Yes, to both. I've been a type 1 diabetic since 1955, more than 65 years. I was 2 years old.  There was no diet pop until the 1960s. No alcohol until well into college. I prefer wine, but I would drink a limited amount if  beer socially. Alcohol makes controlling the diabetes more difficult. It also does not up with chronic depression. 

What MANY people never realize is control of your emotions is also important. White hot anger increases blood sugar levels. There are different kinds of anger. 

• Audrey

Diet soda, yes. Alcohol in very small amounts.

• Liz

In moderation. 

Living With Your Diabetes

Thus, coping with diabetes involves different steps, depending on which type a person has. For the Type II diabetic the solution may be diet and weight loss. But one doctor stated: “Realistically, my experience has shown that the likelihood of that happening is small. I am prepared in most cases to give my patients pills or even insulin from the beginning.”

For the Type I diabetic, the solution of living with the disease is not so simple. Here, too, part of the answer may lie not in the medical treatment involved but in the individual’s attitude toward the diabetes. True, it is not a pleasant thing to look forward to daily injections, perhaps several times a day, nor to pricking the finger to check the blood sugar. Neither is it easy to make sure one’s life is organized to the extent that one eats similar foods at regular intervals at about the same time each day and that exercise and rest are properly planned.

At the same time, a realistic outlook means accepting the fact that at present there is no cure for diabetes. But there is treatment that, while requiring discipline, can keep diabetics alive and reasonably well for many more years than would be the case without treatment.