Nick asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 3 weeks ago

Can you provide a simpler definition of metaphysics without using the dictionary?

For some reason, the dictionary meaning for me is still too vague. I need a simpler definition. (I am assuming almighty humans with much confidence can put up with this challenge. Thanks.

I have never seen a dictionary definition of metaphysics so this will be entirely from my own head.

"The study of phenomena that cannot be measured or observed using conventional scientific methods." 

If it is capable of being measured or observed using established scientific methods, it is not metaphysical.

Everything we know to be objectively real is supported by evidence or calculation obtained by using conventional scientific methods. It is the science that proves the objective reality. That would mean that 'metaphysics' is the non-objective study of things that cannot be shown to be real. To express that another way, 'metaphysics is the subjective opinion of the imaginary'.

That which cannot be proven or demonstrated empirically; that for which any value given must itself be rely on the indeterminate subject itself.

• Willie

I'll be honest, so I don't know the answer since you don't want us to use a dictionary.

This is a little "loose", but think of it as abstract concepts that cannot be explained or demonstrated directly through science and mathematics. Transcending (meta) the physical world (physics). Things that only exist in the mind. Love, for instance, is a metaphysical concept. 

Metaphysics definition is - a division of philosophy that is concerned with the fundamental nature of ... How to use metaphysics in a sentence.

The term metaphysics has multiple meanings in philosophy, the two primary ones being:

1) That part of traditional philosophy which is concerned with the fundamental nature of reality and "existence".

2) Philosophical views which are non-dialectical, or in other words, views which do not approach things in a dialectical way. (This is the most common sense of the term within Marxist philosophy.)