Ceilo asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 4 weeks ago

can someone please translate this poem from English to Arabic?

Hi, this is a poem I found difficult to translate from English to Arabic language. 

Can someone please help me to translate? 

And please par attention to the simile (like water, as wind) and onomatopoeia (willy-nilly). I will be grateful if anyone help me in this. 

Into this universe, and why not knowing,

Nor whence, like Water willy-nilly flowing:

And out of it, as Wind along the Waste,

I know not whither, willy-nilly blowing

– from Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam

• John P

Seeing that the original was in Persian then the translation would into Arabic would be best done from the original Persian. In translating any poem from a very different sort of language, a great many cultural assumptions have to be made. If you double that process you probably move quite a long way from the spirit of the original. Persian and Arabic are used in very much the same part of the world, generally with similar cultural assumptions.

Note that 'Waste' would mean 'Dessert', not rubbish bins.

Scholastic sources say that Fitzgerald's work is in the nature of a commentary on Omar Khayyam's original independent verses in Persian, and was not intended as a close translation.

Translations of Fitzgerald's work into several European languages and into Sanskrit have been noted, so there may already exist a translation into Arabic.

But wasn't it originally in Arabic? The English translation was done by Edward Fitzgerald. Oh sorry - not Arabic; Persian. My mistake.

EDIT TO ADD: John P is right: there must already be one or more Arabic translations in existence. And in any case, it is always better to translate from the original, not from an English translation, however brilliant it may be.