Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 month ago

Can a deleted Instagram account be tracked?

Hi guys, 

My boyfriend and I had an account messaging us, our friends, and family on Instagram making up lies about him cheating, about how I should kill myself, all disgusting stuff like that. 

My boyfriends dad is a detective so he said when he’s back to work on Monday he will track the account for us to find out who it is, as they only made the account yesterday to tell us all this stuff. 

However, the account has now been deleted. So therefore we can see nothing to do with the account, no messages, nothing. 

Will his dad still be able to track it or not because it is now deleted?

There is actually NO SUCH THING as a deleted Instagram account. The account can be deactivated, but Instagram still has COMPLETE records of everything related to the account. To the extent it was ever traceable, it will ALWAYS remain traceable.

• Bruce

You can delete it from your account, but it will still be available on Instagram's main server. That would require a court order, though. That means find an attorney willing to file a lawsuit.