What makes it so funny?

I don't understand why the following humor is funny.  Can anyone explain it to me?

Little Johnny: Teacher, can I go to the bathroom?

Teacher: Little Johnny, MAY I go to the bathroom?

Little Johnny: But I asked first!

The teacher is correcting the pupil (you should ask 'may' for permission, not 'can')

the pupil is assuming the teacher also wants to go to the bathroom.

It isn't the funniest thing I have ever heard.

• RP

The humor comes from the fact that the teacher was correcting LJ's English, but he took it as her/him asking for his permission for her/him to go to the bathroom.

well, I would argue that it is not very funny, but the joke lies on the disconnect between the purpose of the teacher (correcting the grammar of little johnny) and johnny's misunderstanding of the purpose behind what the teacher said (he took it to mean that the teacher was asking for permission, when obviously that is not what was intended).  Many jokes turn on some sort of misunderstanding between intent and interpretation.  That is where the "humor" lies, in the misunderstanding, the unexpected.