Brock asked in PetsDogs · 3 weeks ago

Dog park bite incident?

I just adopted a 65 lb, 1 year old pitbull retriever mix from a local shelter. He does have some separation anxiety, but otherwise he is very well behaved and has been responding so well to training. The shelter told me when I adopted him that he is not dog aggressive at all. I have been taking him to a local dog park and he loves to play with other dogs. He sniffs them, runs around, plays fetch, etc. He never even barks or growls.

This dog park in particular has two sections: One for small dogs (<30 lbs) and one for large dogs (50+ lbs). This one dog owner today, brought her two Corgi's to the park. She loudly proclaimed (yes she was a bit of a Karren), "well, there is nobody in this side of the park so we will take you to see the big dogs". Immediately her dogs were aggressively barking at the other dogs and she had to restrain them on leash, while every other dog was with no leash. Sadly, one of her dogs attacked my dog. He fought back and bit onto the Corgi's neck. The owner went into a full panic attack and started screaming which really freaked me and the other dogs and owners out. I was able to pry my dog off and he sat calmly and the Corgi was also fine. He had no bite marks on him, no blood, and showed no pain. The owner was losing her mind and left with another lady who helped calm her down. I am wondering what I should do from here or if the other dog owner was just really stupid bringing her dog to the park. Should I be worried about my dogs behavior? 

Put the dog down. 

This sort of behavior would not be tolerated by my dog-owning friends or me at our dog park. It seems that you encourage the aggressiveness of all the dogs by the way you act in these videos.https://www.k9sky.com/

Yes, the Corgi barking could relate to an aggressive posture by other dogs and start something which did happen. I would never take my dogs to a dog park, to much can happen, dogs are unpredictable. I had horses for years and when someone would ask "Does your horse kick?" My response "Not yet."

Oh please.  There's no way in Hell a pit bull would bite onto a  Corgi's neck to the point it had to be "pried off" and there's no "bite marks" or blood on him.  I think you're a Flame Baiting troll.  Could anyone REALLY be this stupid?

In the off chance you're telling the truth then you are an idiot.  This is a dog you "just" adopted and don't really know.  You also KNOW he's not trained for voice recall so WTF are you doing with it - especially being a PIT BULL - in a dog park?  Seriously?  You're a selfish and irresponsible jerk.

I'm sure this woman has reported this to animal control so an officer may be coming by that park looking for you and your dog.  I would stay away from the park and get your dog into training before it ends up killing another dog or maiming a human.  Get off your lazy *** and WALK your dog several times a day instead of standing around like a dick doing nothing while your dog mauls others at the dog park.

I hope they do find you and you are sued.  I've encountered bully breed mutt owning a$$holes like you at parks.  Their dogs lock onto other dogs ears or necks and you just stand there going "Oh he's just PLAYING!" Piss off...

edit: "To those who say pitbulls are aggressive - you are uneducated and a bum." Um, REALLY?  Then why do they account for over 70% of deaths by dog attack?  You are DELUSIONAL as f*ck.  How on earth did you get a shelter to adopt out to an idiot like you?????  Or then again, you probably got this from some idiot who didn't want it to kill their kids on craigslist.

A dog the size of yours could easily have done some damage to the Corgi, if that's what he wanted to do. It sounds like all he was doing was defending himself, and no more. Perfectly reasonable. I'd put him on leash immediately if you ever see those dogs again, and make sure to watch for them so you see them before your dog does. If those were my Corgis, they wouldn't be going into the large dog section of the park, possibly not into any dog park. She should have left with them the instant they started barking at the other dogs.

as owner of a terrier breed having many years of experience with  my dogs (all of them) reactions upon confrontations with other dogs and other breeds, reactions to them....if I encounter a large breed running loose in my woodland park I immediately take action...I know my dogs might be dead if a loose large dog approached mine,  my dogs behaving in terrier fashion bark angrily upon these encounters ...therefore I am vigilant, always. and retreat quickly to another location...

this woman with her corgis at the dogpark probably had an inkling of potential hostility as she had her corgis leashed while entering the area designated for far larger dogs.... she is extremely lucky her dog was not seriously injured....for those not having first hand experience witnessing a larger dog attack a smaller one, I have, several times.....I would advise this lady to AVOID dog parks, to consider her experience a teaching/learning one and to find a great outdoor woodland park as near me where she and her dogs may enjoy life......and where there is enforcement of leash laws.

.one thing however I have noticed over so many, many years is the amazing composure of the GSD....in particular one comes to mind when one feisty sassy 20 lb dog of mine got loose off his leash and angrily ran after a jogger's large dog running along with him.....and under the larger shepherds legs barking furiously....I heard a shriek, and I was certain my dog was crushed, but AMAZINGLY that GSD left my dog untouched,  I was shocked, and thankful.

That lady is a fine example of a person who shouldn't have any pets.

Your dog will be fine , he was attacked, he did not attack but he did try to protect himself.  This one incident shouldn't alter his behavior.

Only thing I would worry about is the lady trying to get back at you for harm caused by your dog.  She has no ground to stand on but some fools try to sue over nothing.

• adam

Dont worry about . Her dog started the problem. My full blood Gottiline and Colby APBT [pitbulls] would have killed her dog . Its happened to me in the past just taking my dogs for a walk. My dogs have their shots and county tags. When a german shepperd attacked my Gotti pitbull the owner of the other dog was cited because they didnt have their dog shots or county tags. Animal control took their dog not mine. it lived but needed 13 stitches in its neck. 

take him  to another dog park

Did she take down your name or anything. If she didn’t you’re probably in the clear. 

If she decides to take action, you’ll probably be responsible because she had her dogs on a leash while you didn’t. Pit bulls are known to be more aggressive than a corgi so again it won’t look good for you. You didn’t have your dog on a leash so you didn't have control over it.