Are there any free AdBlock apps. available that actually work instead of pretending they do?

• Tasm

No even the paid one do a good job. The ads just find a way around the block, or the site wont work unless the adblocker is turned off. 

They do. You just have to know how to configure them.. Also, they work best if you use in conjunction with a JavaScript disabler.

Adblock Plus / NoScript.   Those two together I find work best to answer your question.

• Enigma

Sure. Adblock Plus,Adguard Adblock,Privacy Badger,uBlock Origin. Privacy Badger not only blocks ads but also a very large amount of trackers. The Brave Browser and the Epic Privacy Browser are two browsers that add an active ad blocker. Opera does too but must be activated. Both Opera and the Epic browser not only block ads but also provide the user with a free VPN. 

Ad Block Plus.   

• Sky

For what kind of system?  I use Ad Block Plus for my Firefox browsers, and I think it's available for other browsers as well.  It's free and effective.  There's also uBlock (read as "MicroBlock") which is free and seems to work well, too.  But my experience with those is all on PCs.  If you want something on a tablet or phone, start looking.

u can get malwarebytes browser guard

https://www.malwarebytes.com/browserguard/

malwarebytes browser guard can block ads on website

and it can block websites that contain a virus.