Transferring vanity plates in CA?

I want to transfer my vanity plates to my new car, which I get how to do, but what do I put on my old car? Can I transfer the sequential plates that are currently on my new car? Or do I need to get replacements from the dmv?

My old car is being given to family, so it’s still currently in my name, if that makes any difference to this question. 

2 Answers

  • Bill
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

    You need to go to DMV and transfer the plates and registration from one car to the next.  They may issue new plates for the old car unless it was traded in at the dealership.

  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

    Every state is different but in my state, you just pay a few dollars and they transfer it. They would need evidence that you gave the old car away or sold it or they would make you buy another one.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.