Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

What do you do when you hang out with a 5 month old chihuahua?

My mom just got a dog, and I want to make sure we treat this puppy right.  I spend enough time with her, but I still get the feeling she’s often very bored.  Just is one supposed to do when they’re hanging out with a puppy?

• Maxi

Take it for a walk, train it, socialise it

Once a puppy is into a routine, quite honestly all anybody needs to do is to occasionally play with it, and take it for walks.   Dogs don't need to be on the go all the time and from experience, the more they get, the more they'll want.   For eg. when my husband was between jobs some years ago, he'd take our lot out for a long walk after lunch.   Once he went back to work, that wasn't possible but they were still looking for it and I wasn't in a position to step in.   Eventually they settled down but whilel this 'want' was going on, it was hard to live with 'em.

Yes, a bored dog will be destructive and noisy, but a little dog like this should be fine with a bit of playing, and a couple of walks - and the rest of the day they should be able to amuse themselves, or just nap until something happens.

It will be a good idea to enroll her in a good obedience class.

Play with her.  Get some good chews or things she can chew on.  If she doesn't have stuff like this she will become very destructive.  Bored dog can cause a lot of damage, just out of boredom.  Don't put her higher off the ground where if she jumped, she wouldn't break a leg or two or a concussion. Toys, lots of toys, lots of stuff to chew on, interactive puzzles for dogs.  Keep her mind active & stimulated.  Teach her the basics of obedience training.  Have you taught her not to bite?

This is the sites that a google search, using your question.......

https://www.google.com/search?q=What+do+you+do+whe...

they love toys.  THrow the ball for him. Has he been to puppy school? This will help him socialise properly with other people and other dogs otherwise he may turn into a yappy pain in the buttt.

just play with it