Penelope asked in HealthMental Health · 4 weeks ago

Having a family with a person with schizophrenia?

for the past few weeks I struggled with my boyfriend having symptoms of schizophrenia, specially hearing voices, i had to call emergency. He was admitted to a psychiatric institute where they gave him medicine. He is now better. I love him so much but my friends advise me that I should not be with a person like this, that there is not future. He is now even back to school with me, he is still a smart guy, he wants to have kids with me I dont see guy he cant have a normal life but I want opinions if anyone has gone through this

Your friends are stigmatizing mental health problems. There will always be people like them who can't be indifferent to mental diseases as much as they can be to physical diseases. Your boyfriend sounds like a normal person and even though there will be ups and downs in his health, your relationship can stay healthy and might even become medicinal. Whereas if you break the relationship, his mental condition will worsen and he might develop trauma and reject treatments. So please don't let those stigmatizing people get to you. Have a happy life you two.

You can live a normal live with him. Sit down and talk about and also encourage him to stick with therapy and medication. He’s still the boyfriend you love. 💕

Get rid of anxiety first because it also instigates many neurotransmitters in the brain. Give it time, people like that can be hasty- https://mangoclinic.com/anxiety-management-guide-2...

1. Schizophrenia is not a disorder in DSM

2.Majorly, it is anxiety

3.Solve it

And give him and yourself time. Having kids is then another story.

schizophrenia is highly misdiagnosed and 'hearing voices' is not necessarily the basis for such a diagnosis since that phenomenon can be caused by other things and is not necessarily pathological. Schizophrenia is not 'incurable' and it's even been proven that those who have it and do NOT take psych drugs for it usually have a much better chance of going into long term and even permanent remission. Studies have shown this. And for another perspective on the whole topic, I highly recommend you watch the movie "A Beautiful Mind" with Russell Crowe if you've never seen it. The fact is that even if somebody truly did have schizophrenia it would be highly possible for them to have a successful and functional life just as much as the general population. If you start stigmatizing people and telling them they can't have normal lives and need to be on a neurotoxic psychiatric drug the rest of their lives, you are almost ensuring that they will never be happy or well-functioning. If people are not hurting others, we need to accept the differences of people and emphasize their strengths, and not try to convince them they will never be accepted by society or loved by a significant other. It is non-acceptance and alienation of those who are 'different' that causes them to die spiritually and decline physically and cognitively. Mainstream American society and mainstream psychiatry does not get this. There are rare exceptions, for example Google the work that anti-psychiatric drug psychiatrist Dr. Peter Breggin did with those who were labeled schizophrenic, without using any drugs but just spending time with these institutionalized patients one on one, showing them compassion and giving them support. The vast majority of them were able to leave the institutions they were in, get married, have careers and lead what would be considered normal lives. There are a lot of myths out there about the condition labeled "schizophrenia" just like there are about almost all other aspects of mental health.  Everybody needs validation and compassion. Regardless of what they hear or don't hear, or see or don't see. Why is their existence any less worthy because they experience life in a different way? To deny somebody love and validation because they do not experience the world exactly as we do while ignoring the gifts they possess, it's fundamentally wrong. I have tremendous respect for you for seeing with your heart. "The heart has its reasons which Reason knows not of " as some wise person once said.You might want to check out this article as well in Psychology Today" :

"Chronic Schizophrenia Put Into Remission Without Medication

New research suggests ketogenic diet may play a role in treating schizophrenia".

Here's the link:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/advancing-...

The mental health industry is not keeping up with the physical health industry. It never has , and that is a huge mistake , there is so much we do not know. Basically we don't know much at all about anything to do with mental problems. I don't want to give a vote , i mean I do but I would feel bad if I was wrong . So i will say go with your gut , not your heart or even mind , right now your gut knows if this is a thing you can deal with or if it is too much. I personally do not know anyone that would be able to cope with such a serious problem when so little is known about it. But it depends how YOU SEE IT , not me. 

Your friends are just looking out for you. Having a family with a person with schizophrenia will not be a problem if he continues to take his medication. He can live a normal life and have a future with you.

As a schizophrenic who has been hospitalized over half a dozen times.I can tell you that things can always get better or worse. Getting on the right drug treatment and staying on it will make your BF more rational, normal, and healthy. Personally, I choose to not to pass on my genes, even though there is the probability that there will be a cure in the future, I don't want anyone to go through what I have, as my responsibility. Its your guy's choice. What you want can and probably will happen.

• Zirp

With a little luck you will find the right meds and the right dose that work for him. Schizophrenia is not as understood as diabetes, so doctors cannot predict which ones will work.

There is a genetic component to schizophrenia, but that doesn't mean all his children will have it. IIRC, if you don't have it, the chance for his children with you is 10 %

sayingt he chance your kids would have it is 10% is DANGEROUSLY IGNORANT...the fact is that we don't know exactly what the risk is, not enough people with schizophrenia have had kids to know.

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY STRONG EVIDENCE THAT schizophrenia is hereditary.  while some people with schizophrenia are able to live stable lives, others struggle, need constant care, or even long term/permanent hospitalization. one of the meds has potentially danger side effects--its rare, i think something about  killing off white blood cells....and if that is the only med that works, the person usually ends up hospitalized for life...or until a new med is found..

look up the John Nash story...he lives with with his symptoms, but his son needs a lot more help.

you're still in school, you don't need to rush into anything..stick with him....see how he does over the next few years and how he manages once you finish school and he is working/trying to work.

I would not want to have bio kids with him.  it would be better to use donor sperm

again, not everyone responds good to meds, some decline to take them...and they can't be forced most of the time.

• Andy C

Despite our slipping backwards toward a feudal system instead of a democracy,  it IS 2020 and schizophrenia is largely treatable now with modern medicine. 

There is no evidence that schizophrenia is hereditary or directly genetically related,  so marrying someone w/o schizophrenia is about the same risk as one with schizophrenia in regards to having children who become schizophrenic. 

Again, largely and quite successfully treated with medication and schizophrenia is now becoming more and more socially accepted, though you may live in a backwater town.

Or you just need new friends that are there for you instead of spreading toxic stereotyping. 

If I had fallen in love with someone who became schizophrenic,  there's no doubt that I would have stayed,  but I also find schizophrenia to be quite fascinating and elucidating in regards to its place at the evolutionary table.