Which sentence do you prefer?

1. I didn't have my dinner because I'm fasting.

2. I have not my dinner because I'm fasting.

• D50

#2 is just wrong. #1 suggests that you're just fasting for a short time. More likely would be "I didn't eat/have dinner because I'm fasting." The possessive "my" suggests that the dinner was right there to eat but you skipped it.

I ain’t eatin dinner cuz im fastin

"I have not my dinner" makes no sense.

3.  "I lack not having my absent dinner unserved."

I would say:

"I didn't have dinner [tonight] because I'm fasting."

You cannot say "I have not my dinner". Perhaps you mean, "I'm not having dinner [tonight] because I'm fasting".

1. It's incorrect , no congruity of use of proper tense.

Either you can use, I didn't have my dinner because I was fasting. or I don't eat my dinner because I'm fasting.

2.Incorrect.

• John P

'Prefer' is not the word to use. No. 2 is wrong.  No. 1 is grammatically correct.

I would say: "I didn't eat this evening because I am fasting."

Later:

Gretchen S is right about No. 2

"I have not had my dinner" on its own is a complaint, or at least a negative comment.  Possibly I have been delayed by an annoying client, or possibly the member of my household who should have made my dinner has not done so.  

AJ is right about 'fasting' on its own. It is a word that I would not have heard outside religious studies when I was at school. 

Possibly 'fasting' is used these days in medical circles, but it is not common.  I might say "I didn't have dinner because I am trying to lose weight", or "...because it is (name of religious festival) and I am on a fast".

Possibly: "I didn't have breakfast  because I am going for a blood test this morning, and the doctor has told me to fast (or: 'not to eat') before the test."  It is the 'fasting' form which is very unfamiliar to me.  And 'fast' is either technical, as used by a doctor, or religious. It is just not a word for everyday use.

When I first answered the question I knew that something didn't feel right about 'fasting' in a normal domestic situation. I hope I have not confused you by all those different examples!

1. This is correct.

2. Can be used but you need a change." I have not HAD my dinner because I'm fasting".

• A.J.

First is grammar correct. Second missing the word "had" after "not".

I don't like either one. 

"Fasting" is always for a specific reason and communication should include it. It makes the speaker seem stupid without a justification for fasting.

Neither refers to how long a fast, when it ends, when and if will have dinner. 

I skipped dinner as part of a 24 hour weight-loss fast.

"Didn't have" does not state whether a person will eat it later or not at all.

1. If you want to use the second one, then use 'have not had my dinner yet....'