Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 4 weeks ago

What does it mean when some one says "no worries"?

'No worries' is usually taken to mean 'You're welcome' (in response to 'Thank you'), or 'It's fine' if there may have been a problem, or ''Happy to help' if you've done someone a favor.

It's a kinda dismissive but positive response that says 'everything is OK' in a situation where there may have been concern or when someone is saying that they were not inconvenienced by helping you.

Just as an example, we thought we may have had a gas leak in our house last December.  The fire department responded (lights and sirens, fire engine, ambulance service, all that, QUITE the ruckus), and the gas company did, too.  And together they checked our home top to bottom and found nothing of concern.  And they said, 'Your house is fine, NO WORRIES', meaning everything was OK and that there was nothing to be concerned about. 

Not really sure why the Aussies think 'No worries' is their expression.  I've heard it plenty in the US for decades.

It's a very common Australian expression meaning "It's fine", "Don't worry", "You're welcome" and so on. Basically positive but casual.

fairly common way to say that everything is fine and you don't need to be worried about anything.  No trouble with me about that.  Basically, whatever it is, it isn't anything getting upset about.  It is all good.  No problem.  Don't sweat it, no sweat.  Anytime.  My pleasure.  That worked out just fine so let's move on.  Even, sometimes, "I'll take care of everything" (no worries for you).

Used by many people as a way to say "your welcome".  If you say thanks, they say "No worries". It is a nothing phrase really, a polite thing.  No one is upset, no one is angry, we are all happy. 

It is used to say, literally, there is nothing worth worrying about here and now.  If you are worried (like maybe you owe me a favor now, or will have to pay me back somehow), stop it, you do not have to be.  No one is in debt to anyone for anything and you do not have some unfilled responsibility that you have to worry about taking care of.  Everything is good just like it is.

• RP

I'd take it to mean there is no need for concern.

It's an Austr. idiom. The English equivalent phrase is "Not to worry". The meaning is: NEVER MIND. If anyone tells you it doesn't mean "never mind", they're lying.

• John P

Note 'someone' - single word.

It probably means that the person is Australian. 'No worries' is a typically Australian informal expression meaning 'Yes'.

• denise

When you say 'thankyou' and the person your thanking says 'no worries' they mean its ok,  in some ways its a more casual way of saying, 'your welcome'.

Context is everything and you've not given any. 

If someone says, "I have no worries" it means just that. They aren't worried about anything. 

If person A says, "Thank you" and person B says, "no worries", it's the same as B saying, "it was not a problem for me so don't worry".

It means not to worry about something, so it's a good expression.