Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 3 weeks ago

Am I entitled to some of my uncle's lottery winnings ?

I lend him money for the lottery every week. If he has a big win and refuses to share can I take him to court and sue him for it 

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

You can sue, but unless you have a WRITTEN agreement to share in any winnings, you legally don't have a case.

The Statue to Frauds states any contract valued at more than a given amount must be in writing to be legally enforceable. What most people would call a big win in the lottery is several times the typical limit.

• 3 weeks ago

ONLY if the JUDGE says you are.

• L
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

NO you are not - unless you two had an agreement written out and notiarized.

• 3 weeks ago

No, not unless you loaned him that money based on his promise to share any winnings that might take place. This guy is presumably also expected to pay back all the money borrowed to buy the lottery tickets indicating you had no ownership of the tickets and no expectation of sharing any losses or gainss resulting from the tickets.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

Not unless the two of you have an agreement where he'll share part of his winnings. Merely loaning someone money to play the lotto doesn't entitle you to part of their winnings.

• 3 weeks ago

No you are not.  

• 3 weeks ago

No.  You are entitled to be repaid what you loaned him.

• Kathy
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

As long as you cannot prove you gave him the money, there is nothing you can do about it, unfortunately. When he runs out of money, do not give him anymore.

• 3 weeks ago

Can you sue?  Sure.  Can you win?  No.   

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

You can try to get back the money you lent him.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.