What is the best focal length to film a massage video?

Should I shoot with a wide angle lens or something with a longer focal length?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Sumi
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago
    Favourite answer

Generally I would say use a lens that blur out background while getting what you need in the frame.  This, of course, depends on the size of the subject and how far back you can get.  Using a wide lens, which is anything shorter than 50mm, is not recommended because of the distortion that these lenses produce.  Although a 35mm lens is good compromise since the distortion isn't as much as, say, a 28mm or 24mm.

Using a longer focal will compress the perspective making the subject(s) look more attractive than they normally do due to the compression and the avoidance of the wide-angle distortion which is stretching the perspective.

Therefore, I would use a zoom lens with a fixed aperture like a 17-50 f/2.8, or a 24-75 f/2.8.  Having a fixed aperture will avoid changing the shutter speed during the video which can produce unacceptable results.  If you need a fixed prime lens, then I'd say a 50mm to 85mm would be a good option.   Again, without knowing just how far back you can get, I don't know which would be best for your situation.  But one thing is certain, and that is that a fast prime will allow you to blur the heck out of distracting backgrounds putting visual emphasis on the subject.  A zoom lens with an f/2.8 (or larger) aperture will allow you to achieve very similar results.  Normally you do not need to shoot with a super large aperture like f/1.4 since the depth of field can often be too shallow where you aren't getting enough depth of field.  But you can obviously always close the lens down or open it up as needed.

You also need a lens with image stabilization unless your camera has IBIS.  If your camera doesn't have in-body image stabilization, then you must get a stabilized lens.

Getting a lens with an ultrasonic motor allows for quite focusing which is critical if you plan on using the in-camera mic.

• John P
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Just zoom in a bit. Wide-angle distorts the body.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

When shooting a demo video, it is best to change zoom levels now and then depending on what's needed so as not to bore the viewer to death and to emphasize certain aspects that you want to show.

• qrk
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

It depends on how much space you have. You should attempt to put at least 5 to 10 feet between the camera and subject. Choose the appropriate focal length for your shooting situation. It also depends on artistic meter.

That said - A longer focal length will reduce perspective and lens distortions. However, it will also have a shallower depth of field.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

As long as your trousers are down it really doesn't matter where you shoot.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.