Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 4 weeks ago

For those in the army reserves or national guard, do you get drug tested? And how often?

If you're in any of these components, can you explain how often you've been drug tested, if at all? Can you also explain the processes please? (Without the micro aggressive comments)?

• Mark B

The Reserves and National Guard do drug testing.  The standard is to test the unit 100% during the year for random events.  Some states will have specific policies and may do tests at AT or based on state guidance.

For the Reserves, the policy is to test throughout the year based on a random sample.  You are expected to test 100% of the unit over the course of the year.

Many units will do a 10% test each month knowing there will be a couple months where the schedule won't allow testing.  The Reserves do not want to have 1 test event that is 100% of the Soldiers.  That is a high cost or it gives Soldiers an expectation they won't be tested for a year.  The Reserves pretty much discourage more than 25% testing at any one time.  Soldiers are selected at random.  I have been tested 3 months in a row, and I've gone 6 tests without being picked.

If there is suspicion of drug use, a commander can direct a test.  I did 2 of those as a commander.  One showed up on the random list before I gave the information to the testers.  The other went AWOL before we could notify him for testing and he was dropped for that.

A commander will NEVER order someone to be tested on a non-drill weekend.  There must be some sort of pay status for the testing.  A Soldier could be brought in for a 1-day order and do a test, but the cost and effort isn't worth it.  The commander would just wait until drill weekend.

• Aaron

I don't know ,you 'd better ask those people who once joined the army ,they will know whether you will undergo drug tests,

(Without the micro aggressive comments)?

That statement GUARANTEES you will never get INTO the military, making the drug test question MOOT.

Rick and Mrsjvb gave the MOST applicable answer as to reserve components and how often. EXCEPT, Mrsjvb said that they can call you in for a drug test on "non-drill weekends". That won't happen as the military would have to schedule a special drill and pay for the drill also the purpose would likely be a supposedly "random" drug test.

Yes, but "they" already know what the story is. They do all this to slap even more penalties for being such a worthless ****-BAG to them. Who wouldn't?

• Mrsjvb

You can be tested at any time, to include being called in to pee in cup on non drill weekends.

Minimum is once a year, randomly.  Your number can also be called up six months in a row

• Bill-M

Random Drug Tests are conducted monthly.  You pee in a bottle (under supervision).

At least that was the procedure when I was on Active Duty.

I have been military for 43 years now, 25 full time, and the rest in reserves, and I've NEVER been drug tested.  Others have though, but, it is actually pretty rare - in the Canadian Forces at least.

You get drug tested randomly. It could be two months in a row then months and months without tests.

Yes, you get drug tested.  I know because I remember that Hunter Biden failed his drug test.