Is it possible to put two names in transfer of liability in California?

I just bought a new car and I was wondering if there's some form online to put two names of "New Owner" instead of just one because of insurance issues. Thanks in advance if you can point me in the right direction. 

Note:  I already tried to go to the DMV website and it only has one line for new owner. 

Update:

ORRR... If it's possible to transfer a title over without waiting on the title.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • May
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

Sure.

But is should be done when you are buying the car at the dealer.  When you buy the new car simply have the owners on the title read: John Doe OR Mike Jones.  If you already have the title and ity is in your name only, you can get a new title and add someon else's name.  BUT  ! ... Adding another name because of insurance won't work, won't reduce insurance costs and may even be considered INSURANCE FRAUD. 

• 4 weeks ago

If two people own the vehicle, both names have to be on the title.  If only one person owns it, a transfer "sale" has to be done.  That means paying transfer fees.

• 4 weeks ago

You can put two names either separated with AND ...or with OR....... In the first case they both have to sign the title to sell the car.   In the second case only one of them has to sign to sell the car.    If the car has a loan on it then they will insist the title names match the loan names.    If you register the car in person they can add the second name. 

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

WOULDN'T help. If you live in the same household as the person whose name is on the title, or you drive a family-owned vehicle regularly but live elsewhere, you have to be declared as a driver of the vehicle, and their insurance will be just as high. If you lie about that to try and save money, it's called insurance fraud which carries severe penalties.

AND NO, YOU CANNOT TRANSFER A TITLE NOT IN YOUR POSSESSION WITH YOUR NAMER ON IT UNLESS YOU ARE A LICENSED CAR DEALER.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

You'll have to ask a question that makes some sort of sense.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.