Cris asked in SportsFootball (American) · 1 month ago

What will it take to Force the NFL to get rid of Free Agency?

It is not fair to the teams that actually Draft well!

High priced free agent signings are only short term fixes. They may have a good first two years but then they tend to wear down.  So it not  good on BOTH sides.

Update:

I'm a Ravens fan Reynalo. We have been screwed in Free Agency so many times. If there has to be free agency then they need to get rid of the salary cap!

Update 2:

That's why we need to get rid of the salary cap to level up for teams that draft well!

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Too much greed involved for that to happen.

• 4 weeks ago

You will need to get Roger Goodell super drunk and also feed Jim Irsay lots of bindings foods so he will become constipated!  Then they can vote

• Cory
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

Your problem isn't with free agency. Your problem is with the salary cap. If teams were allowed to pay people freely, then they wouldn't leave. Players leave because their teams can't afford them.

• 4 weeks ago

Players will never give up the right to move on!Plain and simple.Front offices have to draft decent and be able to handle the free agent market as well.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

That won't happen because the player's union won't give up that right that was won in the courts.

• 1 month ago

There has been free agency since the One Year Option Rule was established in 1947. Those short term fixes to which you refer have worked pretty well for the past 73 years.

Yo, Leafsfan, it's "American". Learn that.

• Mike W
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It would take the NFLPA agreeing to such conditions in the league collective bargaining agreement.   That's not likely to happen.  They'd have to give the players something significant in return, something like guaranteed contracts, and even that might not be enough.  

• So you want players to be indentured servants to their teams with no opportunity to move.  Not exactly good ole' Murikan capitalism.  Players are forced to play for a team and have zero opportunity to negotiate a better deal for themselves.

• 1 month ago

If high priced free agents aren't worth it, then it really benefits the teams that draft well even more, because they have an advantage over the teams that go for free agents.  Take away free agency, no team goes for it, everyone will spend 100% of the time on the draft.

Not good on both sides?  Seems like it's a good deal for the player signing the contract.

I'd imagine if they went to the players and said... we'll give you 75% of the revenues instead of 50%, but no more free agency, they'd probably agree to it.

Nothing can force the NFL to get rid of it.  They have a deal with the players.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

The NFL has never wanted free agency but were forced into it by the courts. 

I do think the NFL could win a legal challenge if they had the right lawyers but at this point I'm not sure the player's union would go along with it, 

For the dumb asses giving me TDs- go research the Freeman Mcneil case and plan B free agency. etc The NFL fought against free agency every step of the way.   

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.