Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 4 weeks ago

Is printer ink on skin toxic ?

Changing printer cartridge, ink got on my fingers. Is it toxic or can get in blood stream

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Mike
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    No, the ink is not toxic if you get it on your skin.  Its toxic if you ingest it.

  • 4 weeks ago

    Not a risk to human health in this instance, presumably.  No ink is that toxic.  Lots of things are toxic, including hand sanitizer and even really most soaps, but toxicity varies in intensity among compounds, and printer ink is not even identified as a toxic substance according to OSHA or whatever government agency enforces the warnings of toxic substance use. If it were hazardous to your health to get ink on your skin, there would be a warning on the packaging telling you that.

    Even oxygen is toxic if you are exposed to too much.  Printer ink is not generally a hazardous substance.  This does not mean that there are not inks used in some industrial settings where the ink can be hazardous.  It means that the ink you use as a consumer is not toxic in the levels of exposure that you get routinely or incidentally (like getting it on your hands).

    I wouldn't go about drinking the ink, but I would not be worried at all from even covering my hands with it by accident.  I wouldn't use those hands to eat food until I cleaned them, of course.

    That powdery crap used in large office printers can be hazardous and you should limit your exposure to it.  It is not good to breath.  They warn you about it on the packaging.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.