If a police officer is putting someone’s life endanger is it legal to use lethal force on them?

This law applies to the average citizen but if a police officer is putting someone’s life endanger by pointing a weapon at them or for instance putting a knee on someone’s neck for 8 minutes can you go to jail for using lethal force to protect life?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 week ago

It should be.  But then there would be no one left to coin collect for Judge Pimp. I agree they are unsafe to be in sight of. 

• JOHN B
    Lv 6
    1 week ago

That's the second part of the scenario. You have conveniently left out the first part.

You point out the effect. What was the cause?

• 3 weeks ago

Not a good idea, in fact it's obstruction of justice at best and can get you killed at worst.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Seems like more than a few anarcho-crazies are answering you. 

But a serious answer to your question is, "It's up to the courts". 

Trying to stop a law enforcement officer from enforcing the law is an illegal act. 

Aiding & abetting a criminal is also a crime. 

Just as there is illegal use of force, there also is lawful use of force. 

And realize that just like that one kid in Omaha that jumped on the back of a gun-wielding bartender and got shot, you would be risking the same fate. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

All force necessary to stop killers and tyrants is acceptable......this is acceptable by the laws of God himself, the laws of nature and the laws of man.

We the people are under no obligation to obey criminals......

• 3 weeks ago

Because YOU VOTED THE SAME OLD PEOPLE IN OFFICE YER AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR and Never replaced the career politicians with younger people th CHANGE THE LAWS.. YOU need to vote OUT EVERYONE who has been in OFFICE FOR MORE THAN TWO TERMS and replace them with people who want change.

• 3 weeks ago

You have to be tried and convicted to be sentenced to jail.

• God
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

There will be other cops there too.  The other cops will back the cop committing the murder. 

• Bruce
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

In my state there is no exemption in self defense laws for a police officer, so I suppose you could. However, the ramifications would be much worse if you are wrong. If you live, you will be looking at a felony. 

The most important thing to remember about self defense is that it is an "affirmative defense". That mean it is up to you to prove you had the right to use it. The fact you are asking this question strongly suggests you don't know enough about the law to know when to legally intervene. 

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

i think its possible he could go to jail

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.