D asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 3 weeks ago

Who is responsible for garbage/boxes removal after furniture company delivers and installs furniture to your home.?

I live on the top floor of a town house, and after the furniture company set up my

Furniture they got rid of all the boxes and garbage. 

The next morning the owner of the home was very angry yelling saying i have to remove the larges boxes and cardboard boxes from the front of the home or they will be fined $1,000. 

But who's responsible for removing it? I paid the furniture company and I gave them a tip. Shouldn't they cut up and break the boxes? Or maybe take the boxes away from in front of the house?

• L

The delivery people should have taken all of this stuff with them.  Since they didn't....break down the boxes and put them in the Recycle Bin.

• John P

Check the small print in your contract. If removal of boxes is not mentioned then the company is not responsible.  There may be a law about removal of boxes where you are, but if that is the case it is extremely likely that the contract would mention it, at least in passing.

• drip

They are your responsibility.  

I would assume their truck doesn’t have the room to carry the boxes and debris back in their truck. And when they return to their company i doubt they have the trash bins to hold  everyone’s boxes and debris for the week. 

Delivery man are usually in a tight time schedule. They are not goi g to take the time to cut up all the boxes for each customer.

I have never had a delivery where the delivery guys took all the debris from the furniture.  They have never broken down the boxes.

If you wanted this done you should have asked if this was an option when you bought the furniture. 

YOU are always responsible. It is YOUR trash.

Proper disposal should be covered by the delivery fee, but that is between you and the delivery service.

As far as anyone else is concerned, YOUR trash was left in front of the building and YOU are responsible for it.

Unless you agree in advance for the furniture company to take them, they are yours. Often the garbage people will take flattened cardboard as recycling, but not polystyrene. 

practice in your local community controls and I have no idea where you are.  I do know that if the owner is actually fined $1,000 -- YOU get to pay it.  so get on the phone to the furniture people asap -- it's their mess and they get to handle it.  [when my new refrigerator was delivered, it came in a box and the workers opened the box and installed the 'fridge.  they then removed the box and my old, failed refrigerator.]  but then, we don't know where you are, do we?

The boxes and packaging are in fact yours, and your responsibility to get rid of. Some good companies will clear up and take the rubbish with them, others don't.  Some only do so if you pay for that service.  We don't know who it was or what their terms of service are.

Bloke across the road just had a new washing machine delivered and installed. If he'd wanted them to remove the old one and the packaging etc. he'd have had to pay a small sum when ordering the new one.  He didn't, so they left it with him and he got a few of his mates to help him load it into his truck and take it to the dump.

• y

Some take it away with them, some do not, sometimes that is specified in the contract you basically sign, when you hit that delivery button. Sometimes it is not. Anywho, it is you that are responsible for any and all cleanup and such prior to that truck leaving, so you can address whatever they did not.

They should remove them and dispose of them on their own.

• Barry

You are responsible. In the same way that any box delivered to your address becomes your responsibility. Take them to your local recycling facility.