Does anyone know where I could publish my poems?

• Zac Z

Here's the hard truth: poetry sells badly. Very, very badly.

Even poetry of highly-acclaimed writers sells badly, let alone unknown writers, no matter how good the poems are.

The exception that comes to my mind comes from a direction that one might think of first, namely the books of Dr. Seuss! I'm serious.

Now, where does this leave you?

If you just want to put your poems out, there are a number of ways. You could create a website or put them on already-existing websites - there is a poetry section on Wattpad, for example.

You could also put together a self-published book, which will sell effectively no copies.

If you want to earn money from your poems, I don't see much of a chance there.

The best avenue would be to become famous first, and then publish your poetry which might sell because of your preexisting fame.

I'm not trying to be mean, just realistic.

Honestly, poetry would be a best-selling genre if all those people you produce it would also buy poetry! But that doesn't seem to be the case.

Out of sheer curiosity: how many poetry books do you own yourself?

• Diana

There are a lot of book publishers in the world, but you could start with Random House, or Viking Press.