Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Can chips in car paint grow in size?

I just noticed a small, maybe like .3 millimeter chip in my car's paint. I can see the grey primer underneath. Will that get larger and rust over time or will it probably just show the primer (but not rust) for the next 20 years? 

Yes.

The flaw will allow moisture, wind, etc. to increase the size of the chip - just use some touch-up paint (or nail polish) to fill it in.

It will Grow

i always carry a Bottle of clear Nail Varnish in my car54 to paint over any chips or scratches to keep the water out

I have a 2004 Toyota. It got a chip on the A pillar back in 2007. It has never grown any over that time. Don't know about your car but that is my experience.

Moisture can penetrate primer; that's why there is a finish coat on top. It's not just for the color. So, yes, it can grow in size as moisture infiltrates and it will eventually rust.

Source(s): Basic general knowledge. Get some.
  • Snezzy

The chip was likely caused by an impact, such as a piece of road gravel. It's likely, isn't it, that the impact also damaged the primer, right?

I've seen it work out both ways, chip stays rust free, and chip grows a rust spot.

If you live in the Frozen North or anywhere else that salt gets put on the highways (like occasionally here in the Frozen South, north of Florida) or by the sea, you'll grow rust even in spots where you didn't see any chips or dings.

Your use of grey instead of gray suggests you are in Canada (which totally qualifies as Frozen North) or in Old Blighty, where the weather occasionally lets up raining. The older members of your local friends and neighbours can help you understand the amount of effort you can put into repair of paint before you hit diminishing returns.