Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Ever worked with a co worker who smelled?

monday i got picked to train a new guy and we work in close proximity for sometimes 12 hour shifts. i first noticed him smelling right away, i'm not talking about smelly armpits which sometimes happens after a long day but he smells like he hasn't showered in weeks.i've worked with a lot of people and have never smelled a person this bad. you can literally smell him two feet away even with a mask on. i told my supervisor and supposedly hr is going to talk to him. we aren't allowed to say anything and i need my job but it's almost slipped out a couple times out of frustration

Yes, it was something I never smelled before or since. I think he just didn't bathe--ever. 

I was moved to a cube away from him after I told my manager. He was a contractor, was talked to, didn't do anything, and contract was not renewed. 

• G R

Yes and bad breath to where any phone he used the phone would reek of his bad breath. Look sometimes people aren't aware they have an oder or their clothes smell as they might have a weak sense of smell and or they have just acclimated to the smell.  It is good that you said something, good not only so hopefully you don't have to smell it anymore, but for your coworkers sake.  This is going to be awkward for HR to talk to him about, but your coworker is going to be really embarrassed not just during the conversation, but coming into work the next day and thinking that everybody is looking at him or talking about him, you know.  If i smelled or whatever, i'd hope that someone would tell me so that i could do something about it, wouldn't you.

• You have done the right thing to raise it as an HR issue. If there is no improvement, you could ask your supervisor to move one or other of you. 

not that i remember but i mightve, im not working right now