Foundation year at Uni?

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of applying for Creative and Professional Writing with Foundation Year at my local university, however, I'm confused on how it works.

If I decide not to go on to proceed to university after I have finished the foundation year, are you still rewarded with some sort of qualification/degree for the foundation year? Or do you have to do the full 4/5 years before you get anything?

I want to do the foundation year, however, my boyfriend is from America and I will be moving there when I can and we have everything sorted, which I don't think will be any longer than 3 years.

If I attended a foundation year here in England, would it then be easy to find a job in America with one, or even applying for Uni over there?

Thank you!

2 Answers

  • 3 weeks ago

    Assuming you're talking about a foundation year (as opposed to a foundation degree), then no, you don't get any sort of diploma or qualification after you complete it. It's meant as a stepping stone for those without the proper qualifications for a particular degree -- either international students, or UK students without the proper A-levels for the course. 

    You could probably transfer credits from your foundation year to a US university (in the US, we start university a year earlier, at a less advanced level) bachelor's degree program. 

    Unless and until you get married to your US-citizen boyfriend, you probably won't be able to get the proper visa to work in the USA, whether or not you've completed your degree. Employer visa sponsors have to prove that there are not enough qualified US citizen applicants to fill the position, which is difficult to do at even the bachelor's degree level, except in engineering. For a person with one year of university, in writing, there's just no way.

  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

    There is a lot online about this, . 


Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.