Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 4 weeks ago

How long is turkey lunch meat good for?

I have read that lunch meat, once opened, is only good for 5 days, for 7 days, and for 7-10 days. I have some thin sliced Hillshire farm turkey and I need to know how long it is good for.

till its stinks and is slimy. NOTHING spoils according to that arbitrary best if used by date stamped on it.

• Walter

This will depend on both when it was made, what it was made with and what conditions its been in.  Bacteria thrives above 40F and if this product has been left out, that will shorten its shelf life.  Its ingredients will play a role also.  Salt will deter bacterial growth and some turkey manufacturers load up their products with sodium as well as preservatives.  Hillshire farm is fairly salty at 490mg per serving.  It also contains sodium propionate which is a preservatives and nitrates, so it is partially cured.  Under good conditions, the turkey should last beyond the date given on the package, but always use your nose to determine if food has passed its prime.  If you have issues finishing the whole package within 5 dates, you can portion and freeze parts of it as it should really effect the quality or texture.

If it stinks, is slimy and has white fluff on it, then chuck it.

Mind you,I have found that  giving it a quick wash under the cold water tap will make it O.K.

It has been years since I purchased processed lunch meat. (other than salami)

I would not keep it past 5 days once opened. 

Many of the processed lunch meats feel slimy to me to begin with so I can't go by the slime factor. (It is the excessive moisture that makes them feel "slimy", real sliced meat does not feel wet)

Some say if it looks like a "rainbow" toss it out but that can be just oils and the light. 

None of it smells like "real" meat so I don't go by smell. 

When in doubt toss it out...

I would toss it after 5 days.  Buy enough for a few lunches then get more if you need to.

• kswck2

When it starts to get slimy, its time is up. 

• Goerge

It's as good as your nose says it is. Nobody should trust those dates. When grabbing my coffee grounds from the cupboard I saw a bag of flour with May, 2021 written as the best by date. Flour, when stored correctly, will be good for much longer than that. 

This has today's date on it, time to toss it. Those dates are the reason people waste so much food. Just because THEY say something, people blindly listen. Does it look good? Is there any discoloration? I am not talking about bad complexion either, there will be some color variations but spoiled is easy to spot.  Now, take out a slice, is it slimy? Does it smell good? I'm nowhere near where you are so there's no way for me to tell you about your food I can not see, taste or touch. Use your own investigative prowess. 

Also, don't trust any arbitrary window that someone, no clue what sort of real world experience they have, suggested on "the internet".